In the year 2012 Rukararwe started a Renewable Energy Technology Centre (RETEC) program targeting 30-40 local unemployed young women and men per program in Bushenyi District. This project has taken place every two years, sothat it supported now 120 youngsters in total. The last time from September to December 2018.
The project has two main objectives:
To transfer manufacture and installation skills of various Renewable Energy (RE) technologies to local young women and men who will then extend their services to the general population while earning an income.
To increase access to sustainable alternative energy and to create skills-based employable and renewable energy business-minded youth.
RETEC program impacts youth with both theory and emphasise practical based teaching on real renewable technology installations, manufacture, construction and invention of renewable energy products such as:
- Energy saving cooking stoves
Through those topics the Youth also gains knowledge about nature conservation and protection.
30-40 young women and men got the opportunity to study renewable energy technologies in Rukararwe for three months. They get a certificate from the Ministry of Education and Sports after passing a final exam, so that this three month act as small but complete job education in which they are gaining what is needed to find work in their sector.
- 2016 their was not even one failior
- Three students of the RETEC program opened successfully a solar shop in Ishaka
- Students have managed to generate an additional income by installing solar panels
- Students constructed for families in the surrounding communities energy saving stoves
- Students broadened their minds in sustainability and environmental conservations and shared their knowledge with family members and friends
- Building students constructed a new kitchen with store made from unburned earth bricks at Rukararwe grounds